Oldham & Rochdale Astronomy is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Oldham & Rochdale Astronomy may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from May 2018.
1.1 What we collect
We may collect the following information, if you sign up for alerts/news or become a member of the site:
• Email address
If you opt to register/login with Facebook - We collect your public profile data only from your consent that you grant before initiating Social Login, from the social network used to login at our website. This data includes your first name, last name, email address, link to your social media profile, unique identifier, link to social profile avatar. This data is used to create your user profile at our website. You can revoke this consent at any time by sending us a message on the Contact Us page of the site.
1.2 What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
• To keep certain parts of the site private to non-registered users
• We may periodically send emails about information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
• From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
When registering for Aurora alerts and news updates, your details will be held by Mailchimp (see section 1.8)
1.5 Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
1.6 Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
• whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
• if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless required by law to do so.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please email email@example.com
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, or you wish for your data to be deleted, please email us as soon as possible at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect or delete your data as requested.
1.7 Registration with the ICO
As Oldham & Rochdale Astronomy is a not-for-profit website, we are not required to register with the ICO. We are however required to:
• only process information necessary to establish or maintain membership or support;
• only process information necessary to provide or administer activities for people who are members of the organisation or have regular contact with it;
• only share the information with people and organisations necessary to carry out the organisation’s activities. Important - if individuals give you permission to share their information, this is OK (you can still answer ‘yes’); and
• only keep the information while the individual is a member or supporter or as long as necessary for member/supporter administration
1.8 Storage of your data
If you choose to sign up for alerts, news and updates you are consenting to the following:
• Transfer of your contact information to MailChimp
• Storing your contact information in our MailChimp account
• Sending you marketing emails from our MailChimp account
• Tracking interactions
The GDPR imposes restrictions on the transfer of personal data outside the European Union. Transfer of personal data where the organisation receiving the personal data has provided adequate safeguards is allowed. Mailchimp participates in and has certified its compliance to the Privacy Shield framework.
“The EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks were designed by the U.S. Department of Commerce and the European Commission and Swiss Administration to provide companies on both sides of the Atlantic with a mechanism to comply with data protection requirements when transferring personal data from the European Union and Switzerland to the United States in support of transatlantic commerce.” www.privacyshield.gov
1.9 Google Analytics
This website uses Google Analytics with a plugin to anonymise IP addresses before further processing, in order to rule out direct associations to persons.
Some browsers send a 'Do Not Track' header when browsing websites, we use a plugin that will detect this and exclude tracking if you are sending a 'Do Not Track' header.
The plugin we use has a user opt-out feature. You can opt out of tracking at any time: Click here to opt-out of Google Analytics
1.10 Google Adsense
This website uses Google AdSense, a Web advertising service provided by Google, Inc. (‘Google’). Google AdSense uses ‘cookies’, which are text files placed on your computer, to help the website analyse site usage. Google AdSense also uses Web beacons (invisible images). Web beacons allow information such as visitor traffic to be analysed on this site.
The information generated by the cookies and Web beacons about your use of this website (including your IP address) and the distribution of advertising formats will be transmitted to and stored by Google on a server in the United States. This information may be transmitted by Google to its contractual partners.
However, your IP address will not be associated with any other data held by Google.